Thursday, June 20, 2013

Socca Pizza with Arugula Pea Pesto, Yellow Tomatoes, & Ricotta

I did not invent the concept of the socca flatbread pizza, though I wish I had, because then I could brag about what a genius I am. Alas, the inspiration for my pizza came not in a dream, but in the form of this gorgeous spring pesto flatbread at the Kitchn. In place of the original version's salad and mint pesto topping, I topped my flatbread with an  arugula and pea pesto, yellow heirloom tomatoes, ricotta cheese, pea shoots, and Parmesan.

Socca is simply a chick pea flour flatbread. It's low carb and gluten free and delicious and my new Favorite Thing in the World. You can dress it up in any number of ways - add herbs, garlic, shallots, etc. - but in its basic form it's equal parts chick pea flour and water, a bit of salt, and a few glugs of olive oil. The batter is left to rest for a couple of hours, then broiled until crispy on the edges  - about one cup at a time -  in a preheated cast iron skillet with a good glug of olive oil.  I've made it before, but I've never topped it like a pizza. Silly me!

I meant for my pizza to have Maryland crab on it, until I got to Whole Foods and discovered that the price of local crab has gone through the roof - over $40 for a wee little thing of lump. Needless to say, I'll be sticking to mussels, clams, and oysters when the craving for shellfish hits.

And so I subbed in  ricotta and Parmesan  for crab, and I believe my flatbread was none the worse for it.
The pesto is a recipe I created for Style magazine, which you can find here. It's a bright and summery blend of arugula, peas, Vidalia onion, lemon zest, olive oil, and salt and pepper. As for the rest of the assembly - well, you can see for yourself.

This was a gorgeous main course, but cut into smaller slices it would totally work as a side dish or cocktail party bite.

I will be making many more of these this summer, and I suggest you do the same.





12 comments:

  1. I believe Socca is also a style of Caribbean music with insistent beat. Both versions insists on my attention. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely - especially the pesto.

    I have just discovered the pleasures of socca and scrambled eggs. I don't know why it works, but it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cher, that sounds amazing and I think you just settled what's for my Sunday breakfast!!!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of socca or Socca so that explains my attention situation. I need to make this so I guess I"m off to the Kitchn but so often that is how trouble starts. This pea pesto looks like a winner for sure so off to Style. In style, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny, we're making socca next week for FFWD and the batter is in my fridge. I was wondering how to jazz it up and this might just be the thing! LOVE that pea pesto! Also love Cher's idea of socca with scrambled eggs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So apparently I have some strange kind of Dorista ESP? DSP?

      Delete
  6. I was going to say the same thing as Mardi. I finally looked at our FFwD recipe for this week today...and here you are with a deluxe version! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. It looks wonderful. We Italians are familiar with farinata - a chickpea flatbread like this. But ours never looked this good, Trix.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looking delicious, i think that mint pesto topping would have been made this more delicious. now i really want to try that at home and seriously i'm gonna do it.

    ReplyDelete