Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cooling Cucumber Salad


Today was hot as hell. Add to that the fact that I have tendonitis and can't exercise for another week, by lunchtime I was feeling sweaty, cranky, and fat. Oh - and hungry.  Of course. I didn't want to cook anything, or go anywhere near hot or even slightly warm food. I wanted something light and refreshing - something that would pack a flavor punch without packing on pounds.
Then I remembered that we got cucumbers from the CSA this week.  A cucumber salad! Perfect! That with a little cottage cheese on the side and I had the makings for a regular 1950s lady-style luncheon. The only thing missing was tomato aspic, but I'm not a masochist.

Cooling Cucumber Salad

One large cucumber, peeled and sliced very thin
2-3 heaping tbsp fresh chopped dill
1/4 red onion, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp creme fraiche
salt and pepper, to taste

Lightly salt the cucumber slices and place in a colander to drain for about 30 minutes; gently pat dry.
Next, mix all the ingredients together and chill in the fridge for about an hour.

That's it. Did I mention this was easy? It pairs beautifully with some mint tea and the aforementioned cottage cheese with a little fruit. This is such a retro lunch, you'll feel like you should be playing bridge! 






No comments:

Post a Comment